- What are they? They are 1/4″ TS unbalanced connectors with a way to short the tip to the sleeve when unplugged.
- Why? When the tip is shorted to the ground it will keep it from causing any hum, pops, or noise when not plugged in.
- What are they for? They are intended for instrument use like guitars, basses, or such.
- When should I use them? If you need to unplug while the system is turned up you may benefit from one. It will allow you to unplug your instrument and replug without risking blowing out speakers.
- Do they affect the sound? No, a silent connector in proper working order should provide no sonic change to your setup. It really is just a switch inside the jack that shorts the contacts.
- Are there any downsides? Yes, because there is a mechanical component to the connector with these they can wear out or become jammed. There is also a chance of the jack failing and not unshorting so you won’t have any signal. After many years of installing these, we have found the risks are low and are overshadowed by the benefits.
- What do you offer? We sell Neutrik straight NP2X-AU-SILENT and Neutrik right-angle NP2RX-AU-SILENT on Mogami 2524, Mogami 2319, Canare GS-6, Horizon Inst1, and Horizon Concert 1 wires.
- Can I buy these now? Yes, here is a link.